I have an interesting relationship with Shrimp and grits. It was the meal that got me eliminated from food network star and the same meal that got me advanced to the next round to the finals on the Home and family show. It wasn’t intentional either, it just panned out like that. I believe it was a touch of destiny and a rainbow after a heavy storm. This is a different and more of an ode to the city that makes something normal EXTRAVAGANT. We are known for how crazy our Bloody Mary’s can get and I decide to combine that with the shrimp and grits and It was amazing!
Ingredients for Beignets
Directions for Grits
- Cook the grits as the package instructs only replacing half of the water with milk. (Example : if the instructions say to add 4 cups of water, you’ll add : 2 cups of water and 2 cups of milk)
- Since dairy swells when brought to a high temp, as soon as the liquid starts to smoke (just before boiling whisk in the grits , 1 tbsp of salt and cook as directed.
Directions for Sauce
- Sauté shrimp seasoned with salt and pepper in a oiled skillet (olive oil spray) remove shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add butter, veggies, and garlic sauté until tender
- Add tomato paste, juice and return shrimp to the pan as well. Add vodka and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon sauce over grits for each serving. Top with extra peppers, olives or anything you want to add to jazz up your dish